Hearing Voices ♀
1 A private investigator and radio producer share skills: you ask questions, try to figure what happened, then make a report. (11:10)
2 Three women, a Chicana, African American and Romanian immigrant, describe their different approaches to surviving breast cancer. (8:43)
3 A performance artist heads to hardware stores looking for paint in shades of dark brown… her own: face, inner thigh, left breast. (5:09)
Story of Stuff
4 Annie Leonard spent a decade researching where consumer stuff comes from, how it’s manufactured, who that effects, and where it ends up. (7:01)
Surrounded by Lights
5 A very busy day with Amy Jo, a single mother of two toddlers. Everyday she strives to fulfill the promise for a better life she made to her daughter. (6:46)
Jan and Jack Kerouac
—Marjorie Van Halteren
6 A father-daughter dialog: Jack Kerouac’s daughter Jan, reads her an ode to her rarely seen dad; intertwined with Kerouac’s speeches and prose. (6:04)
Kiss and Dying
7 An etiquette list if hospital behavior, and misbehavior, for those who are dying, and for the soon-to-be survivors. (7:45)
Miracle on the Streets
8 Miracle Draven was a homeless girl on the streets of Portland, Oregon. She recounts a day in her life as a crystal meth addict. (2:25)
Off the Bus
9 Let off the bus form Mexico at 5 a.m., with $5 in her pocket, at the 24-hour supermarket in Texas. The producer wonders "What’s next?" (4:30)
- 1 "Private Investigator": Erica Heilman works with the Vermont Folklife Center.
- 2 "Cancer Monologs": Dmae Roberts produced this for MediaRites Productions.
- 3 "Paintmixers": Dmae Roberts produced this piece with damali ayo, an author and performance artist.
- 4 "Story of Stuff": Chase Sbicca works at Sports Management Worldwide; Annie Leonard runs The Story of Stuff Project.
- 5 "Surrounded by Lights": Erin Mishkin is Membership Director of The Association Of Independents In Radio.
- 6 "Jan and Jack Kerouac": Marjorie Van Halteren is at MarjorieVanHalteren.com.
- 7 "Kiss and Dying ": Ceil Muller is a KQED Technical Producer.
- 8 "Miracle on the Streets": Dmae Robert’s site is DmaeRoberts.com.
- 9 "Off the Bus": Carmen Delzell’s piece debuted at Transom.